The Guardian named England captain John Terry today as the footballer at the centre of a privacy gagging order after a super-injunction preventing the publication of allegations about his private life was overturned today.
Lawyers for Terry succeeded in applying for a high court injunction on Friday last week, having learnt that a Sunday newspaper – believed to be the News of the World – planned to write about his private life.
The Guardian reports: "Under the terms of a super-injunction agreed by a high court judge on privacy grounds, newspaper groups were unable to reveal who had applied to stop the story coming out. But today the judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, lifted the injunction altogether.
"I do not consider that an interim injunction is necessary or proportionate having regard to the level of gravity of the interference with the private life of the applicant that would occur in the event that there is a publication of the fact of the relationship, or that [the applicant] can rely in this case on the interference with the private life of anyone else," he said.
Although the judge did not name Terry in his order, the Guardian says it can reveal that he was the player who made the application.
And while the injunction did not cite a specific paper, the judge said that the evidence named News Group Newspapers (NGN), the publisher of the News of the World.
Apparently the story was posted on the Spurs website on January 25.
Sky News Ballot Ballad
5 hours ago