Thursday 24 December 2009

Northern Echo and Journal merge by mistake


The Northern Echo appeared today with pages of rival The Journal, Newcastle, inserted in it after a printing cock-up.
Echo editor Peter Barron observes on his blog: "I am sorry to report that something terrible has happened to my beloved Northern Echo this morning – it’s been published with pages from The Journal.
"I can’t believe it. It’s Christmas Eve, I'm on day off, and I was hoping for a nice lie-in – but the home phone rang with the appalling news. It was my managing director: “Have you seen today’s paper?” he asked, crossly, before filling me in on what had happened.
"It is perhaps the most bizarre cock-up in my time in newspapers. How can The Northern Echo be published with two pages from the Newcastle-based Journal?
"The answer that is that Trinity, publishers of the Journal, now print The Northern Echo on Teesside and I can only assume someone at the print centre was too full of Christmas cheer last night. The phones at our reception have been ringing non-stop with complaints."
Happy Christmas Peter!

No comments: