Wednesday 15 September 2010

Female columnists revolt me says Julie Burchill

Julie Burchill in the Independent today accuses her fellow female columnists of hypocrisy over their comments on the Wayne Rooney and prostitutes story.
She asks: "Can we please have a moratorium on all the female newspaper columnists getting up on their somewhat rickety soap boxes and serving it seven ways to poor Juicy Jeni? 'Young girls these days are whoring themselves to the highest bidder in search of a WAG lifestyle. When I was a youngster, we wanted to be something worthwhile like a teacher or a doctor – not rich and and famous,' goes the gist.
"Then WHY, dear fellow female newspaper columnist, didn't YOU become something worthwhile like a teacher or a doctor? Was it because, perhaps, you wanted to do something with low stress and decent pay? And to get your picture in the paper? Exactly. "
She adds: "Don't do as I do – do as I why-oh-why is the general rule out here in Hackland. I love hacks, and I love being one, but their hypocrisy – particularly the women, regrettably, and particularly the female columnists – is one of the few qualities that revolts me."

No comments: