Friday 22 May 2009

MPs told: "Attacking the messenger won't work'

Matt Chorley, London editor of the Plymouth-based Western Morning News has hit out on his blog against MPs trying to turn the tables on journalists by asking them to disclose their expenses and salaries.
He writes: "In recent days I have been asked, by MPs, to publish my modest expenses. Colleagues in the regional press have been challenged by MPs to say how much they earn.
This disgusting, ignorant attempt to divert attention away from a culture of sleaze totally ignores the fact that newspaper journalists are not paid out of the public purse."
He adds: "I have an interest to declare. I live an MP’s lifestyle without the perks. My wife lives in Somerset but my job requires me to be in London, where I rent a flat (no moat) using my salary. My family is in the Westcountry, my job in the capital.
I travel standard class from Paddington to Taunton and back most weeks, paid out of my own pocket.
It is my choice, of course, to do this. But it is the choice of every ambitious political thruster to stand for election, supposedly for that quaint old idea of “public service”.
I earn nothing like the salary of MPs, and sadly the WMN does not stretch to paying out for bath plugs, housekeepers or wisteria trimming.
I am sick of hearing them bleat on about the need for Sky TV, sofa beds and claiming the weekly shop.
The basic salary for an MP is £ 64,766. The average wage in the Westcountry is around a third of that - with no perks.
The system needs to change, of course it does, but the mentality of MPs of all parties is what needs the biggest shake-up.
The reputation of politics is going to be harder to fix than John Prescott’s loo seat.
Attacking the messenger is not the answer. MPs must get their own (second) house in order before democracy is undermined for good."
Story via HoldtheFrontPage

No comments: