Wednesday 19 January 2011

Four novels and a style guide: Five favourite books on journalism from The Browser's Robert Cottrell



Robert Cottrell, co-founder of The Browser and a former foreign correspondent for The Economist, the Financial Times and the Independent, has chosen his five favourite books on journalism.

They are:

The Economist Style Guide.


Towards the End of the Morning,
by Michael Frayn.

The Honourable Schoolboy,
by John le Carré.

The Imperfectionists, by Tom Rachman.

Scoop, by Evelyn Waugh

To find out why Cottrell made his choice read the interview with him by Sophie Roell on The Browser.

But here is his advice to young journalists: "The best piece of advice I ever got was from John Bulloch, of The Independent, when I was grousing about some miserable act of sub-editing. ‘Never, ever read the paper, my boy,’ he said. ‘You’ll be much happier that way.’ So I didn’t, and I was."

No comments: