Monday 30 March 2009

"I'll pay..how much do you want?"

Interesting letter from a reader in MediaGuardian today saying they are willing to pay for online content.
Andrew Shore from Nottingham was responding to an article by Polly Toynbee in which she described online readers of The Guardian as "skinflints" and urged them to "go out and buy a copy".
He writes: "But I, for one, am very comfortable to have my news delivered direct to my computer, with all the joys and convenience that online journalism affords. And without the hassle and additional resources necessary to read it in print. I rely on the Guardian to provide me with up-to-the-minute news and enlighten me with the latest sociological issues, lavished with an incisive commentary and a unique sense of wit.
"I have every sympathy for the plight of the news industry and would be very happy to make regular donations in return for my daily news. This leaves me with one question: given the current levels of online readership, what daily contribution would the Guardian feel comfortable in accepting, per user, in order to ensure its continued survival?"

No comments: