Thursday 1 September 2011

Herald's out of date pasty splash rivals regional news classic 'Whitstable mum in custard shortage'


A new rival to 'Whitstable mum in custard shortage' for most underwhelming regional newspaper story has emerged.

This time from the Folkestone Herald. The tale of the pasty that was three days past its sell-by date and sold to a young mum.

First there was the famous Whitstable Times "Whitstable mum in custard shortage" story. Then the tale, and exclusive picture, of a dead fish headlined: "Exhaustion blamed for Hertford fish death" in the East Herts Herald.

The Journalism Hub blog discovered another contender for best non-news story in a local paper:"Tributes as popular Lichfield cat dies".

And there was Dog injures nose in the Salisbury Journal.
  • A new book planned by Penguin for publication in October is called Whitstable Mum in Custard Shortage . . . And Other World Exclusives from Britain's Finest Local Newspapers. The idea is for a gift-book compendium of all the silliest stories from across Britain's local newspapers that were published on slow news days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

and they don't even know best before sell-by and best-before dates. My tea tonight was sell-by 13 July and I'm OK so far

Anonymous said...

How about idiot mum feeds toddler pasty from discount store

Anonymous said...

That's nothing! I bought a bar of chocolate from the office snacks machine and it was eight months out of date. I also found a tin of peaches eight years old in my mother's larder. So I want a story done on me too.

Rogerthered! said...

I like the custard story...and I like the out of date pasty story. But which one is best? There's only one way to find out? Yep - see which one inspires a book. Custard wins hands down, ifangyew

Anonymous said...

If that was the splash, God only knows what they allowed in at the back of the book.

Dave said...

The giant cat story in the bottom right looks like a much better splash to me.