Friday 30 January 2009

A year ago an MBE: Now its a P45 for editor

One of the best known weekly editors in the county, John Butterworth, group editor of Shropshire Newspaper's weekly series has been made redundant, HoldtheFrontPage reports today, by the Midland News Association.
A year ago Butterworth was awarded an MBE for services to journalism and his charity work. His papers and journalists have often featured in journalism awards.
HTFP says it is expected that all sub-editing operations at Shropshire Newspapers weekly titles, which include the Shrewsbury and North Shropshire Chronicle, will be carried out from the company's head office in Ketley from March.
Butterworth, 55, has been in journalism for 36 years and in his current role for the past 12.
He told HoldtheFrontPage: "I did not want to leave newspapers. I've had 36 years and I love newspapers. If I'd wanted to leave I could have applied for voluntary redundancy."

No comments: