Wednesday 25 May 2011

What a treat: 30 years of Guardian's Steve Bell


An exhibition celebrating the work of Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell over the past 30 years opens today at The Cartoon Museum in London.

The Guardian has put 12 of Bell's cartoons featured in the exhibition online and there is also a feature in G2 in which those portrayed by him, including Nick Clegg, John Prescott, Edwina Curry and Paddy Ashdown, say what it's like to be on the receiving end.

Bell also writes about himself and his work. I like his take on politicians: "These men and women are professional idealists and I take my hat off to them. Then I kick them up the arse. Because it's not what they say or what they are, or even what they say they are, that gets my goat: it's the things they actually do to us in our name."

Bell Epoque: 30 Years of Steve Bell is at The Cartoon Museum, 35 Little Russell Street, London WC1, until 24 July.

No comments: