Tuesday, 13 July 2010

NUJ accuses Trinity Mirror of breaking 'no more redundacies' pledge with new MEN job cuts


The NUJ has accused Trinity Mirror of breaking a 'no more redundancies' pledge with yesterday's announcement that up to 10 editorial staff could be made redundant in the merger of the editorial teams at MEN Media in Manchester.
NUJ general secretary, Jeremy Dear (top) said: "This announcement will come as a kick in the teeth to those staff whose jobs are now at risk, particularly given Trinity Mirror's £72.7m pre-tax profit last year, chief executive, Sly Bailey's £1.4m pay packet and her promise, made just 4 months ago that 'There is no redundancy programme planned.'
"What we're seeing is another attempt at cost-cutting to inflate profit margins, but with newsrooms already cut to the bone, these redundancies will simply drive down the quality of the titles, ultimately threatening their very survival.
"The worry is that with the company scheduled to make further cuts in 2010, they may attempt a more savage redundancies round when they move staff to a new hub at Oldham, in September."

1 comment:

Donnacha said...

Not forgetting this is on top of the planned redundancies at the Daily Mirror/Sunday Mirror and People - Save the Daily Mirror on Facebook