Friday 13 February 2009

Ayckbourn 'appalled' at Yorkshire Post job cuts

Playwright Sir Alan Ayckbourn has said he is "appalled" by the proposed redundancies at the Yorkshire Post and described the paper as "the voice of Yorkshire".
Scarborough-based Sir Alan made his views clear in an email to NUJ members at the Johnston Press owned Post and Yorkshire Evening Post who are to stage two four-day strikes to protest at the cutbacks.
Sir Alan said: “The press office here at the Stephen Joseph Theatre has just told me about the Yorkshire Post job losses.
“I am appalled if this means, as I'm sure it will do, that the quality of such a valued, independent, individual press voice will be in any way diminished.
“We 'regionalists’ (and you know how closely I associate myself with this proud non-London based body of individualists!) regard the YP most highly. It is our own. It IS the voice of Yorkshire.
“Long may it flourish!
“Best regards,
“Alan”

No comments: