Plans to form a campaign group of journalists to oppose the BNP and stop the media giving the far-right party an "easy ride" are underway. The catalyst for the move is the appearance of BNP leader Nick Griffin (pictured) on Question Time.
A letter is being circulated among journalists which states: "Following the disastrous appearance of Nick Griffin on Question Time, which resulted in poll boosts for the BNP in which one in five voters said they would consider voting for the racist party, many journalists feel there is an urgent need to:
• Establish a campaign group of journalists and other media workers who can put effective pressure on press and broadcasting outlets that give the BNP an easy ride, while supporting and defending colleagues who want to expose the BNP;
• Circulate a statement in the media opposing the BNP;
• Organise a major central London rally aimed specifically at the media;
• Organise a debate on BNP coverage at the Frontline Club;
• Make contributions to the NUJ's new reportingthebnp.org website (to be launched at the end of November);
• Generate other campaigning ideas.
There will be a meeting to get the campaign going on Wednesday Nov 18, 7.30pm at the Function Room, Crown Tavern, Clerkenwell Green, EC1R 0EG.
Guido’s Guide to Leaking
8 hours ago