Tuesday 20 October 2009

Fight for Journalist job gets personal with claims of Left wing plot to takeover the union

The campaign to be the next editor of the NUJ magazine the Journalist turned personal today with candidate Mark Watts emailing 19,000 NUJ members claiming one of his rivals, Rich Simcox, is part of a Left wing plot to "highjack" the union.
Watts says in his email: "A political faction that calls itself "NUJ Left" is trying to take control of the NUJ."
He adds: "Don’t get me wrong, the "NUJ Left" doesn’t have overall control of the national executive council (NEC) not yet. But that’s what they want, and the same applies to other key policy-making bodies in our union. And this election is the key that will enable them to pull it off. They’re trying to put their man in charge of the Journalist. With that, they’ll be in an ideal position to take control of our union completely.
"And they’re going to succeed, unless you vote. You probably do not realise it, but one of the candidates in this election for editor of the Journalist is part of this "NUJ Left" group. They call themselves a 'coalition'. Where I come from, we use a different c-word: to my mind, they’re a cabal."
Watts names the NUJ Left candidate as Rich Simcox. But is this such a shocking revelation? Simcox told me when I revealed he was standing in the election on September 3 that he had the support of the NUJ Left and I reported the fact here in the second paragraph of the story.
Watts, however, alleges that Simcox has not revealed his NUJ Left backing in his election material. His email ends dramatically: "Lance the boil. Save the NUJ".
Simcox told me today: "I didn't realise it was such a secret. It comes up fourth when you Google my name."

11 comments:

Martin Cloake said...

It's classic McCarthyism, and also one of the most absurd rants I've read in a long time. Quite clever though, as he's pre-emptively fended off any criticism by warning of a "smear campaign" that he is apparently "due for". No doubt his "award-winning" investigative powers managed to dig that up along with the secret plot on the open website - or is it the secret plot stupidly revealed by the shadowy left wing "jackasses" when they accidently set up the website which they didn't reaalise anyone would read, because they are not as clever as Mark?

What's most disturbing is the establishment of the 'Save the NUJ' campaign by Watts. Leaving aside the massive ego-trip that supposes the union can be 'saved' by one man (SuperInvestigator) his invitation to people to "stay in touch" suggests that if the members have the temerity to vote the wrong way, Mark will continue to undermine the NUJ by "exposing" the red menace. Quite the nastiest piece of campaigning so far.

One thing I'd like to investigate is whether, if Mark Watts wins, he will give up his post at the FOIA centre to devote all of his time to the £51,000 a year job which involves editing The Journalist and a range of other union activities, or if he intends to do two jobs at once.

Must go now, I need to follow up a hot tip that the Pope may be Catholic. There could be award in this.

Steve Platt said...

I had voted Mark Watts 1, Richard Simcox 2 before I read Mark's email this morning. His rant was so intemperate and lacking in judgement or perspective that I'm now seeking advice on how to alter my vote without spoiling my ballot. The last thing the NUJ needs is a return to the days when mighty egos did battle under the cover of often spurious political issues. And I certainly don't want someone running The Journalist to 'save the NUJ' from the left.

Jon Slattery said...

Thanks for the comment Steve,
Are you the Steve Platt that once wrote the Dog column at Press Gazette, went on to edit the New Statesman and upset John Major?

Martin Cloake said...

Well said, Steve.

Anonymous said...

I want someone running the Journalist who has relevant experience to the role, understands what the union's members are currently up against and knows about it from experience (a good activist will have a good contacts book after all). That's the main reason I'm backing Richard. The email I've received this morning from Mark Watts suggests an intention to wage a divisive civil war.

And if it suits the new McCarthyite atmosphere, then yes, I'm on the left. Doesn't mean I always agree with everything everyone else on the left does or says, and doesn't mean I only work with lefties. It's just, you know, my honestly-arrived-at outlook.

Tom Davies

Steve Platt said...

Hi Jon. Yes one and the same. I still look back fondly on my days as the Dog - and working with your good self. I lurk here from time to time but haven't commented previously.

I've just re-read the Mark Watts email, by the way, (something that I don't think he did himself) and I'm really concerned about the damage this sort of approach could do to the NUJ.

Oh, and I am not now and never have been a member of NUJ Left, in case Senator McCarthy comes calling - although Mark is doing his best to turn me into one ...

Anonymous said...

I'm backing Simcox now - thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

I voted Watts at 2. After his rant wish I hadn't.

Sir Chenjin said...

In the middle of his 3,000 word rant Watts urged NUJ members to give their second preference vote to Steve Usher.
Obviously Mark's investigative googling failed to uncover that Steve has also contributed to the NUJ Left website:
www.nujleft.org/2009/09/cuts-could-spell-end-of-express/
Mark was understandably fooled by the cunning communists' extensive steps to hide the Usher post.
It was reported on this blog:
http://jonslattery.blogspot.com/2009/09/when-desmond-bought-express-titles-in.html
And Roy Greenslade's blog:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2009/sep/18/downturn-mediabusiness
Thank goodness Mark has put his investigative skills at the disposal of NUJ members.

Martin Cloake said...

If ever a man shredded his own reputation…

Anonymous said...

There was also a comment piece about the NUJ Left in a publication called The Journalist earlier this year. So shadowy and secretive that it was mailed directly to all 37,000 or so of the union's members. You'd think someone with aspirations to edit the magazine might have spotted that.

Tom Davies