Thursday 24 September 2009

Newsweek puts Iran President on spot over detention of its correspondent Maziar Bahari

Newsweek's Lally Weymouth has asked Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who is at the United Nations in New York, to free the magazine's correspondent Maziar Bahari (left) during an interview, according to excerpts published online.
Weymouth asked:
As you know, Iran has been holding a NEWSWEEK correspondent for three months, Maziar Bahari. I know you have been very generous this morning saying you would help release the American hikers. On humanitarian grounds, would you consider releasing Maziar?
Ahmadinejad: "I would like all prisoners to be released, but I am not the judge. The judge has to decide on this. If I were in charge of this case, I would guarantee that all the prisoners would be released."
But you said that you would try to get the American hikers released. Could you try to do the same for Maziar?
Ahmadinejad: "I want all prisoners to be released. Every one. Americans and non-Americans—it really makes no difference."

No comments: