Friday, 4 November 2011

Brighton Argus faces more cuts in editorial staff

New job cuts are expected at The Argus, Brighton, according to a report by the online Brighton and Hove News.

It says The Argus, owned by Newsquest, has written formally to more than a dozen staff in newspaper sales and at least half a dozen editorial staff. The letters invite staff whose jobs are at risk of being made redundant to a meeting this afternoon (Friday 4 November).

The Brighton and Hove News says: "Six sub-editing jobs went this time last year and a further six jobs in the editorial team look likely to go in the coming weeks. They include staff in photographic and features as well as the paper’s librarian."

Members of the Argus NUJ chapel are due to meet this evening to discuss their options. Last year they held a series of strikes over job cuts and a pay freeze.

No comments: