Monday, 31 January 2011

Sheffield Star journalists set for industrial action

The NUJ says journalists at the Johnston Press-owned Sheffield Star are preparing to take industrial action over management plans to shut down jobs at the company's editorial subbing hub in the city.

NUJ members have decided this week to act on their strike ballot unless management guarantees there will be no compulsory redundancies under management reorganisation plans at the hub.

They are also demanding that freelance jobs be converted into staff posts where these become available through reorganisation and want a "proper response" from Johnston Press to their claim for a pay increase.

Last week the journalists voted for strike action in their dispute over a management scheme to dismantle the Sheffield hub, a project opposed by the union.

“Not surprisingly, our members at the Sheffield Star have now voted ‘no confidence’ in their management,” said NUJ organiser Chris Morley.“Journalists put up with all the hardships that the company imposed on their lives in order to try to stay with the work and make the hub work. But all that effort has been thrown back in their faces by a company that is thrashing around, adopting buzzwords and trendy business strategies with little thought to shoring up its newspapers core during difficult times.

“NUJ members are now offering the company one last chance to meet our reasonable requirements for the future of editorial operations in Sheffield. I hope the management will take this opportunity, and realise that our members are not willing to be walked over.”
  • It was reported by HoldtheFrontPage last week that Sheffield Star editor John Furbisher has resigned after just seven months in the role.

No comments: