Thursday 18 November 2010

Who says punk's not dead?: Johnny Rotten welcomes the royal wedding in the Sun



Former Sex Pistol Johnny Rotten (John Lydon) whose seventies anthem God Save the Queen outraged the tabloid press is an unexpected well-wisher for the forthcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton in a two-page spread in the Sun today.

Lydon tells the Sun: "When I heard William had popped the question to Kate, I had a nice cup of tea for them. Later on, I might even put some bucks fizz in my veins in their honour. This is a beautiful love story and I like that. He's done very well for himself - she's bang on the money! He got the No1 contender.

"People think I hate the Royal Family, but that's not true. My animosity is towards the institution, not the people themselves. What I've always resented with the Royals was the austere nonsense that was being propagated. But Willy and Katy look like they are genuinely in love and that's all I look for. That's what being a human being is all about. That is what is important in life. He's marrying someone different to himself and that's wonderful - some mix and match. They really appear to have stars in their eyes."

He adds: "I loved the fact William gave Kate Diana's engagement ring. I was talking to my wife Nora about it and we think that was a very genuine, deep thing to do."

The spread is headlined:"God Save Wills and Kate."
  • Top: Daily Mirror December 2, 1976
  • Bottom: today's Sun spread
  • The Sun also has an "exclusive" today by Germaine Greer - billed as "the most famous feminist of her generation" - saluting 40 years of Page 3 girls. You couldn't make it up!

No comments: