Thursday, 11 November 2010

NUJ offers to suspend strike action at BBC

The NUJ today announced it is prepared to suspend strike action planned for 15th and 16th November by its members at the BBC after the union was offered new talks over the pensions dispute.

However, before those talks can happen the union has told the BBC it must withdraw disciplinary action against 3 members overseas who supported the strike on Friday and Saturday of last week.

NUJ general secretary, Jeremy Dear said: “We welcome the BBC’s change of heart and agreement to enter talks following industrial action by thousands of journalists and other BBC staff. We will enter those talks determined to seek a negotiated settlement. But we remain committed, and authorised, to take further industrial, political and legal action in the event that talks fail to deliver a fair pensions settlement.”

The NUJ has 4,100 members at the BBC.

No comments: