WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange's continuing bid to avoid extradition to Sweden made him the top news story for the UK press in the week ending Sunday 19 August, according to journalisted.
Most covered stories of the week were:
- Julian Assange granted asylum by Ecuador, generated 148 articles.
- South African police shoot and kill over thirty strikers, 44 articles.
- Suffolk couple win £148 million Euromillions jackpot, 39 articles.
- Report suggests Anders Breivik's actions could have been prevented if existing security plans and concerns had been acted upon, 15 articles.
- Founder of surfthechannel.com receives a four-year sentence for running a site linking to pirated material after a private prosecution, 9 articles.
- Pathologist in Ian Tomlinson case condemned by disciplinary panel, 7 articles.