Tuesday 4 May 2010

Labour MP tells constituent: 'Life can only get better - if you stop reading the Daily Mail'

Chris Mullin, Labour MP for Sunderland South, told Clive Anderson on BBC Radio 4's The Heckler programme how he advised a distressed constituent to stop reading the Daily Mail.
He told Anderson: "I remember once I had a woman come in who was really on the edge of a breakdown. She was talking about civil war and chaos, immigrants coming up the lanes of Sunderland with knives between their teeth to murder her. She was really in a terrible state.
"I just said to her 'What paper do you read, love?' and, of course, it was the Daily Mail. I just said 'stop reading it and you'll find life gets better.' That's the only advice I could offer."
Mullin, a former Mirror and World in Action journalist, is not standing for re-election.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

a pity; it sounds like good advice. I can see the point, it's his job to offer more than that, but his advice is a good start.

Christophe said...

Totally agree. Its full of hate peddling fear and distrust.

I follow their headlines for the comedy factor.

http://www.mailwatch.co.uk/category/front-pages/

Its either the NHS, forrins, house prices, the royal family or how we all are going to die from this and that...

Adam said...

It's not really his job to offer more than that if the constituent is imagining the problem. I mean, what's he going to do, promise to vote against civil war?

Anonymous said...

And if I was a G.P. I'd probably offer the same advice to many of my visitors.

Anonymous said...

Just like I've suspected for a while: reading the Daily Fail is a likely symptom of poor mental health.

Corachcymraeg said...

But it has to be true if you read it in the Daily Mail!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Anonymous said...

Well done, Chris Mullin. Excellent advice. There is no more miserable thing in Britain than The Daily Mail.