Showing posts with label Simon Irwin. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Simon Irwin. Show all posts

Thursday, 5 November 2009

Simon Irwin back with new Archant Life post

Simon Irwin, who made a shock departure as editorial director of the Kent Messenger Group in March, has got a new job with the Archant Life regional magazine group.
He is to be the new group editor of Archant Life South East and East, succeeding Jonathan Keeble who is joining a health trust as head of communications, HoldtheFrontPage reports.
Irwin, 47, was made editorial director of the Kent Messenger Group in January 2003 and promoted to the board. He was previously associate director. He joined KMG in 1998 and was previously assistant editor of the Western Mail in Cardiff. At KMG, he was successively West Kent senior editor and editorial manager before promotion to associate director. He has worked for the Derby Evening Telegraph, Radio Hallam, The Star in Sheffield and the Coventry Evening Telegraph, beginning his journalistic career as a reporter with the Mansfield Chad.
He was also a member of the Press Complaints Commission.
Irwin's sudden departure with "immediate effect" shocked staff. It followed large cuts in staff, with more than 30 editorial staff axed, the closures of offices and reduced pagination announced by KMG managing director Kevin Mead.

Monday, 16 March 2009

Editorial director Simon Irwin has left Kent Messenger Group with 'immediate effect'

Staff at the Kent Messenger Group have been told that the company's long standing editorial director Simon Irwin has left the company with "immediate effect".
Irwin, a member of the Press Complaints Commission, was put on “gardening leave” just over a week ago from the independently-owned company which has just announced proposals to cut more than 150 posts, including 35 editorial staff and the closure of editorial offices at Folkestone and Thanet.
Irwin, 47, was made editorial director of the Kent Messenger Group in January 2003 and promoted to the board. He was previously associate director. He joined KMG in 1998 and was previously assistant editor of the Western Mail in Cardiff. At KMG, he was successively West Kent senior editor and editorial manager before promotion to associate director. He has worked for the Derby Evening Telegraph, Radio Hallam, The Star in Sheffield and the Coventry Evening Telegraph, beginning his journalistic career as a reporter with the Mansfield Chad.
A KMG journalist said: "We have been told in message on the internal intranet that Simon has left the company but not the reasons why."
One theory is that Irwin fell out with new KMG managing director Graham Mead over cuts in pagination.

Friday, 13 March 2009

Pagination row theory behind Simon Irwin's 'gardening leave' at KMG

Both Kent Messenger Group and editorial director Simon Irwin aren't talking about why he is on paid leave from the company.
However, KMG sources believe there was a disagreement about pagination being dropped to a maximum of 60, including sport, at newspapers within the group.
There is speculation the decision was taken by new managing director Graham Mead without the knowledge of Irwin, who is a member of the Press Complaints Commission.
Maybe PCC chairman Sir Christopher Meyer, a former diplomat, could be drafted in to mediate.

Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Simon Irwin on 'gardening leave' at KMG

Kent Messenger Group’s editorial director Simon Irwin is understood to be on “gardening leave” from the independently-owned company which has just announced swingeing job cuts.
It was revealed last week that KMG was proposing to cut more than 150 posts and that up to 35 editorial staff could be made redundant after a period of consultation. It is also proposed that editorial offices at Folkestone and Thanet are to be closed.
Irwin, 47, was made editorial director of the Kent Messenger Group in January 2003 and promoted to the board. He was previously associate director. Irwin is currently a member of the Press Complaints Commission and has a high profile in the regional press.
One KMG source said: “It is widely known within the company that Simon has gone on paid leave since Friday but we don’t know what the reasons are.”
Another added: “Graham Mead (KMG’s managing director) is now dealing with Simon's work. Don't know much other than there was a disagreement on Friday and Simon is now on leave.”
Irwin joined KMG in 1998 and was previously assistant editor of the Western Mail in Cardiff.
At KMG, he was successively West Kent senior editor and editorial manager before promotion to associate director.
He has worked for the Derby Evening Telegraph, Radio Hallam Sheffield, The Star in Sheffield and the Coventry Evening Telegraph, beginning his journalistic career as a reporter with the Mansfield Chad.
The company announced last September that it was making 60 redundancies and closing six regional offices because of "unsustainable annual trading losses".
Mead, who joined KMG in January, said of the latest redundancies that the company had no option but to move to the next stage of its restructure plan. “If we had any other option but redundancies we would take it, but the reality is that we have to restructure our business to be able to operate efficiently in this challenging environment and to position ourselves for the future."