Legal action taken by Lord McAlpine against the BBC and others following the Newsnight programme was the news story most covered by the UK press for the week ending Sunday, November 18, according to journalisted.
Lord McAlpine sues after he is wrongly named as a paedophile, generated 247 articles.
Other top news stories were:
- Fears of a new war in Gaza after violence erupts leaving many dead, 218 articles.
- Police and Crime Commissioner elections take place with less than 15% turnout, 138 articles.
- DR Congo vows to defend Goma city as UN condemn rebel attack, 6 articles.
- Undercover footage reveals Tory MP's links to independent Corby candidate, 4 articles.
- Ikea say they 'regret' the use of forced prison labour in communist East Germany 30 years ago, 3 articles.