Two days of strike action by NUJ and Bectu members at Associated Press and Associated Press Television News (APTN) have been called off after the press agency’s management agreed to talk to the unions about changes to its pension deal.
The first of the strikes was due to start on Monday, followed by a 24-hour strike on Saturday, June 16. The NUJ and Bectu had said further days could be announced at a later date and members had not ruled out taking action during the Olympics.
The NUJ said: “The NUJ is pleased that AP management has agreed to enter into meaningful talks over pension provision at the company. On the basis of these talks, which will begin next week, the joint unions have agreed to call off the planned strike action.”
Unions claimed the changes to the pension provision proposed were unfair and had been made without adequate consultation and balloted for industrial action.
I am a freelance journalist based in the UK and was deputy editor of Press Gazette, the journalists' magazine, from 1993 until 2006. I want to give an independent view on media matters.
You can contact me with stories, ideas and comments by email at email@example.com You can also follow me on Twitter @jonslattery